Submitting Form SS-4
Use the following instructions to apply for an Employer ID Number online
You may now apply for and obtain an employer identification number online. Once you have completed all necessary fields on the online form, preliminary validation is performed and will alert you to information the IRS needs that you may not have included. An EIN will be issued after the successful submission of the completed online SS-4 form.
- Online EIN is available 24/7.
- No registration is required to use this system.
- No paper needs to be sent to the IRS.
Rules for a Limited Liability Company (LLC):
As an LLC, you must provide the following information to apply for an EIN:
- Include LLC in the legal name on Line 1
- Check the type of entity in line 8a (partnership, sole proprietorship, or corporation).
- If you check the “corporation” check box, notate single member or multiple member on the line next to the “corporation” check box.
About the EIN issued:
While the IRS calls this a provisional EIN, the I-EIN is the permanent Federal Employer Identification number for your business. This
I-EIN may be voided if:
- The name and SSN of the principal officer do not match SSA records.
- The business has already been assigned an EIN.